Vegan Gajar Ka Halwa2021-11-01
- Prep Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
41 people rated this recipe
Here is a perfect luscious plant-based “Gajar Ka Halwa” recipe which is made with zero added sugar, no ghee/oil. Unlike regular Indian carrot halwa which is loaded with refined-sugar, ghee, milk and mawa (khoya/milk reduction). But for my vegan version I have used homemade coconut milk/cashew milk along with nuts and dates.
Gajar ka Halwa is simple but outstanding classic Indian dessert made by slow cooking shredded carrots, non-dairy milk, dates & cardamom. The natural flavour and sweetness of carrots along with nuts make this dish so delicious. The entire house would smell heavenly.
The Almond flour & cashew milk adds richness to this halwa, and is a great substitute for the Milk & khoya. Fall & winter is the season for those glowing red carrots.
It is an ultimate guilt-free dessert, which is also healthy, vegan, gluten-free & soy-free.
- 4 Cups – Indian/Winter/Red Carrots, shredded using a food processor
- 20 Strands – Saffron (Kesar)
- 1 ½ Cup – Organic Dates Paste OR 1 Cup Dates Paste + ½ Cup Jaggery
- ¼ Cup – Coconut Cream / Thick Coconut Milk (Optional)
- ¼ Cup – Cashew milk or Plant-base Milk
- 1 Tablespoon – Organic Golden Raisins
- 1 Tablespoon – Melon Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon – Organic Almonds, unsalted & slivered
- 1 Tablespoon – Organic Pistachio, unsalted & slivered
- 1 Teaspoon – Freshly Grounded Cardamom Powder
- 1-2 Tablespoon – Organic Almond Powder/Flour
In a big pan/pot, add shredded carrots & saffron strands. Cover the lid and let it cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes. Stir it in between.
Now add cashew milk and stir it well. Cover and let it cook on slow flame for another 5 minutes.
Add dates paste/jaggery, almond flour, cardamom and few nuts. Cover and let it cook on slow flame for another 5 minutes. Make sure you stir the halwa in between.
Finally, add coconut cream/milk, more cardamom powder, nuts and raisins. Cover and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Stir halwa well and turn off the flame. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped nuts and serve “Gajar ka Halwa” warm / cool. Halwa also tastes great with vegan vanilla ice-cream.