Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand2018-10-26
- Skill Level: Easy
- Add to favorites
- Servings : 8-10
- Prep Time : 5m
- Ready In : 10m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
18 people rated this recipe
Shrikhand is a traditional Gujarati or Maharashtrian (Indian) dessert served with a thali (meal). Also known as Matho, Shrikhand is sweet hung yogurt transformed into a mouth-watering dessert. Shrikhand is deliciously smooth, thick and creamy tasting Indian sweet. It has amazing flavor and aroma from saffron and cardamom.
It is very easy to make Shrikhand as it needs very few ingredients and requires “No Cooking”. Hung curd is like a blank canvas and you can add different flavors to make different Shrikhand. I usually make Kesar Elaichi or Nutty Shrikhand. There are varieties of shrikhand like Mango Shrikhand, Almond & cardamom Shrikhand, Mixed Nut or Mixed Fruit Shrikhand, Fruit Pulp Shrikhand etc. You can customize according to your choice and taste. Apart from tasting yummy by itself, it can be enjoyed with puri, roti or paratha etc.
Shrikhand is rich and healthy; it is a good source of Protein, Calcium, and Probiotic, etc. Hung Yogurt has low carb and low fat. Traditionally it is considered good for the stomach as yogurt is cooling which helps upset stomach or ulcers.
- 4 cups – Hung Curd. Click here for Hung Curd recipe
- ½ to ¾ cup – Sugar (Granulated or Castor Sugar)
- A few Strands Saffron (Kesar), Crushed in the mortar & pestle to make Kesar Powder – read below
- 2 teaspoon – Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder
- 1 tablespoon – Pistachio, sliced (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon – Almond (Badam), sliced (Optional)
In a big bowl, add sugar, saffron powder & cardamom powder to the hung curd and whisk well using an electric beater or wire whisk. Whip till smooth & sugar dissolves.
Taste the sweetness level; add more sugar if required and mix well.
Optional Step: Keep this bowl in the fridge for an hour. This will help saffron to bleed more and give bright yellow colour along with wonderful aroma/flavour. After an hour, take the bowl out of the refrigerator and whisk it well.
Shrikhand is now ready to serve or you can chill the shrikhand in the fridge to serve later.
Serve a big dollop of Shrikhand and garnish with almonds & pistachio. Enjoy this yumminess!
- Saffron Powder: In a mortar & pestle, add saffron strands and 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar and grind it to a fine powder. This procedure creates a bright yellow color and which give a rich flavour to the dish.
- Storage: Store leftover Shrikhand in a container and keep it in the fridge which will last for 1-2 weeks. You can also freeze Shrikhand for up to 2-3 months.