Apple Strudel Cups2018-10-11
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
19 people rated this recipe
These Applicious Strudel Cups are easy to make and serve when entertaining a big group. These are a hand-held cup; extremely tasty with full of flavor. Apple Strudel Cups are layers of buttery flaky pastry cup filled with warm apple filling which is topped with vanilla ice cream and grounded cinnamon. It has different flavor and texture to this dessert – crispy cup with warm sweet spiced apple filling. It takes less time to make as compared to full-size strudel.
- 3 – Apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 4-5 sheets – Frozen Phyllo Pastry, thawed (may require more sheets if the muffin cup size is big)
- 2 tablespoon – Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon – White Sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon – Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon – Cinnamon Powder
- Pinch of Nutmeg Powder
- 1 teaspoon – Vanilla Extract (Optional)
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- 2 tablespoon – Unsalted Butter, Room temperature or melted
- Pinch of Salt
- Vanilla Ice Cream (Optional)
- a medium size muffin tin to bake Strudels
Preparing Apple Filling: In a pot on a medium heat, add diced apple, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well and cook until sugar dissolves and apple is soft as required. (Note: Do not cover the pot and let excess water evaporate)
Once Apple is cooked and there is no more liquid left in the pot, turn off the flame and then add lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mix well and let apple pie filling cool down completely
Preparing Crusts / Cups: Cut each phyllo sheet into 4-inch square to fit in the muffin tin. We will need 6-8 square phyllo sheets for one apple strudel. Butter top side of phyllo sheet and sprinkle some brown sugar. Place another layer of sheet on top and apply butter and sugar, create 8 such layers by placing sheets one above the other to have a flaky crust.
Place each set (8 layers) of buttered & sugar phyllo pastry sheet on a muffin tin. Push the layers downwards to sit inside the tin and press it outwards to create a cup shape. Bake these cups in a pre-heated oven at 350F / 175C for about 10 minutes.
Remove the muffin tray from the oven (Keep oven “ON”) and then fill the molds/cups with the apple pie filling. Each phyllo cups should be full (approx. 2 tablespoon or more) with the apple filling. Now, place this tray in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Remove the muffin tray from the oven and let strudel cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
Serve this warm delicious Apple Strudel Cup with vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle icing sugar & cinnamon on top to dress it up. Enjoy!
- Nuts: almonds and raisins taste really good in apple filling
- Ice Cream – Vanilla Ice Cream tastes extremely wonderful with apple strudels; you can either use regular or low-fat Vanilla Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt or Whipped cream.
- Phyllo Pastry Replacement – You can either use Puff Pastry sheets or make pie base/crust using whole wheat flour, salted butter, sugar and milk to make tight dough. Press pie crust dough inside the muffin tin and bake.