Gluten-Free Zucchini Lasagna (No-Noodles)2018-05-23
- Servings : 8-10
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 1:15 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
17 people rated this recipe
My version of gluten-free (No-Noodles) zucchini lasagna is extremely tasty and healthy. It is loaded with the goodness of fresh vegetables and herbs. Zucchini lasagna is a delicious, low-carb, wheat-free, gluten-free, and nutritive and can be vegan too. Once you have tried and tasted this baked gluten-free and vegan lasagna you won’t even miss the basic noodles/pasta lasagna.
- 3 large – Zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3-4 Cup – Fresh veggies of your choice (I have used Julienne cut – Green bell pepper, red bell pepper, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and broccoli)
- 2 ½ cup – Homemade Marinara Sauce or Red Pasta Sauce- Click here to read the full recipe
- 1 cup – Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese / Cashew Cheese
- ½ cup – Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (Optional)
- ½ cup – Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated (Optional)
- Handful – Fresh Basil
- 5 clove – garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon – Red paprika
- 1 tablespoon – Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tablespoon – Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon – Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon – Sriracha Hot sauce (Optional)
- Salt to taste
Vegetable Marinara Sauce - Heat oil in a pan; add minced garlic, red paprika and sauté until it infuses the flavor in the oil. Now add all the fresh vegetables, salt and sauté for 3 minutes. Add homemade marina sauce to the vegetables and cook it for about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down, thereafter, add black pepper powder, sriracha sauce, and herbs.
Meanwhile, slice the zucchinis lengthwise using a knife or mandolin. Lightly salt the zucchini and set aside for 10 minutes. Blot the zucchini with paper towels to soak the water. Alternatively, grill the zucchini until slightly browned to remove the moisture from zucchini.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Let’s layer and assemble the zucchini lasagna in a baking dish.
Grease a baking pan/deep dish with oil, make a flat layer of sliced zucchinis, and spread a layer of vegetable marinara sauce. Top it with some ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sprinkle parmesan cheese. (I have also added cheddar cheese as I like it)
Repeat the layers, place zucchinis, veg. tomato sauce and cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients for a total of 3 layers.
Finish the lasagna by topping with the sliced zucchinis and cheese (keep some mozzarella and parmesan cheese). Cover the baking dish with the foil.
Bake lasagna in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. Now remove the foil and bake it for another 30 minutes uncovered. Add basil leaves and remaining Mozzarella & parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Remove the lasagna dish from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve this delicious hot zucchini lasagna with a bread or soup. Enjoy!
- Vegetable choice: You can use any fresh/frozen vegetables of your choice
- Balance zucchini moisture: Use uncooked quinoa or washed uncooked rice at the bottom layer which will soak moisture of zucchini while baking. This avoids excess liquid while eating
- Vegan substitute: replace ricotta cheese with soft crumble tofu and dairy cheese with vegan cheese. It might taste little different as vegan cheese does not melt same as dairy cheese.
- Read on how to make home-made Red sauce recipe